Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mesa AZ Hooking

I leave for Mesa AZ early tomorrow morning for the workshop I'm offering on creating rugs from yesteryear.

Naturally, any discussion related to creating an old look in a rug would not be complete without exploring the contributions Magdalena has made to our appreciation for hooked rugs as an indigenous folk art.  Carol Miller, hosting the workshop, has asked me to share my perspective on Magdalena's contributions to rug hooking as part of the workshop.

Students are going to be designing their own pattern in class.  It will be interesting to see how much Magdalena's influence affects the students' rug designs.

Carol is ahead of the game on her pattern design.  Earlier this week she sent me some draft ideas on her pattern.  Her initial design features are fantastic:  Magdalena style with an Arizona twist!  For fun, Carol and I went back and forth a bit with some design ideas.  I can't wait to see the final design she plans to hook.

I think you can see by this design snippet, class will be very fun and very western with Arizona influence.
Design by Carol Miller, Mesa AZ.  Not for reuse by others.
I've taken workshops in Arizona a few times and have found the hooking community there very welcoming.  My husband and I like to visit the state nearly each year for two weeks at a time.  As another western state, we feel right at home, even with the climate and topography so different from our home state of California.

I know this trip to Arizona will be among one of my favorites.  I'll be posting more pictures from the workshop when I return home next week.  Until then, safe journeys to everyone.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...