Saturday, September 14, 2013

Northern Travels

By the time you read this post I will be in Canada to teach a class for my friend and hooking colleague Loretta (Hooked on the Lake blog:  http://hookedonthelake.wordpress.com/).  Loretta and I both love primitive style rugs and she asked me to visit her and share my antique rug hooking style with her circle of hooking friends.

We have been planning this event for over a year and it is hard to believe it is now here.  Loretta has 17 ready and willing hookers who are going to participate in designing their own pattern and hooking a vintage style rug. 

In honor of visiting Canada, I felt I had to make a special rug to honor the experience.  So here is my little rug to honor our northern friends; it is 23" x 15":

Beavers for Canada:  designed and hooked by Kathy Clark, Briarwood Folk Art

Beavers for Canada, close-up, designed and hooked by Kathy Clark, Briarwood Folk Art
What animal better embodies Canada than a beaver?  I wanted to make these guys very Magdalena style, but for some reason I did not like a lot of wild colors in the rug every time I added some colorful hit and miss hooking.  So they ended up being hooked in a grungy dirty-lights mixture.  


I had just a bit of linen left on the piece the mom and baby beaver were on, so I guess you could call this guy the dad beaver.  I used all the scraps that were laying around at the time and this little guy took form.  Note he is still in progress as I apply a wool wrap binding edge.  I am leaving the top edge unfinished so class participants can see the ease of this finishing technique.
Hit and miss beaver, piece in progress designed and hooked by Kathy Clark, Briarwood Folk Art
When I return home I’ll have some fun stories to share.  Loretta and her husband Gord are a very fun couple and they are going to take us touring in their lovely home area after the three day workshop.

I will also be sharing another rug I hooked for this occasion, so stand-by for that post in a few days.

If you wish to pin pictures from my blog for Pinterest, kindly give credit to this blog in your pin. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...