Monday, May 26, 2014

Pondering Green

Or is that pondering by the pond?

Now that our backyard is nearly complete in changes and additions and ready for summer, I'm spending the cool early mornings pondering in the yard, along with my iced coffee.  This morning I was pondering the color green.  There are no less than 20 variations of green I can easily spot from my perch near the pond.

One of my favorite places to perch, listen to the babbling waterfalls while exploring the color green.
I will be leaving for Cambria Pines rug camp next Sunday and I'm pulling colors for my rug together in my mind before I go into the studio to ravage through piles of wool.  Green was on my mind this morning.....as in what colors of green I'll use for leaves in the pattern I'll work on at camp.  
Birds, Bees and Honey Please pattern by Kathy Clark, Briarwood Folk Art.
It's just a little fun pattern, but I will of course want an aged old look, so the greens must not be too bright.  But wool is one thing and nature is another, and I could not help but marvel at the variety of green tones as I sipped my iced coffee.



















Rug hooking has certainly made me view green in a different light and to take note of it in nature.  I think green is a hard color to work with in rugs.  Do you go yellow green, blue green, gray green, dark green, light green, bright green, dull green?  Do you mix all of these possibilities together?  Nature certainly mixes it up with wild abandon, and ultimately she probably knows best.  Yes, green can be a challenge.  But a lovely one at that!  Have a great green day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...