Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Texas Travels

In planning our trip to Texas to attend the Yellow Rose Rug Camp we added time onto the beginning and end of the trip to scope out the state.

We flew into Austin and stayed by the airport the first night, then took off for adventure.  Around noon on our first full day in TX we were getting hungry and we searched the web for recommendations on Texas bar-b-que.  In Johnson City we found Ronnie's Pit BBQ.

Owner Ronnie does double duty as cook and carver of his fine BBQ products.  As I made my lunch selections, he kept carving off tidbits of the different meats he offers, giving me samples of his fine work.  Yummmm.  Good BBQ.  We will go back if ever in the neighborhood again.  My stomach is grumbling right now for some of Ronnie's brisket.

Ronnie tends his BBQ.  That's a lotta' smoke coming out of it.
After a fine lunch we headed for Fredericksburg in Texas Hill Country.  We've heard so much about Hill Country so we wanted to see this part of the big state.

Now I'm not meaning this to criticize, but after living in CA all my life, I kept asking myself:  "where are the darn hills?" since I'm used to hills, mountains and vertical cliffs in a short distance from where we live.  Hills mean a significant topography change in my frame of reference; not just a bump here and there.  So sorry to say, I'm still wondering where the hills are.  Nevertheless, it is pretty country.

Fredericksburg is a lovely town with interesting early architecture running for several blocks.  The shops are nice quality and another interesting experience is the German influence.  We had meals at a couple German restaurants and the food was good.  I found the lovely flowers along the main street especially pleasant, so clicked some color as we walked the street.







We kept ourselves busy for 2 1/2 days shopping, walking, going to the Nimitz Museum and the George W. Bush World War II museum.  We had a wonderful thunder and lightening storm one night.  It was a memorable couple days and I'm sure we'll visit again.

Next post I'll begin sharing about the Yellow Rose Rug Camp, a most memorable experience!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...